When you workout you are going to sweat, and workout sweat tends to come with body odor. Depending on the type of workout clothes you wear it may be more difficult to get the body odor out of your apparel. Washing your clothes with baking soda can restore the freshness of your workout clothes.
Sweating is actually a benefit of working out, so use the workout plan builder now to incorporate some sweat into your exercise routine.
While sweating is good, the body odor that may accompany it may cause you to feel a bit self conscious. There are a few things you can do to try and reduce your body odor.
There are different reasons people have body odor, including genetics, diet, and medications. You cannot do much about genetics or medications, but you can change your diet and nutrition. You can also keep your workout clothes clean to help reduce or eliminate the body odor on your workout clothes.
Why do you get body odor when working out?
Sweat is an important function of the body. It keeps your body temperature regulated and it flushes toxins from your body.
There are two different kinds of sweat glands:
- The sweat that naturally cools the body with all over perspiration is mainly water and salt and it is generally odorless.
- The sweat that occurs in a sudden outbreak (such as due to stress or intense exercise) releases chemicals in addition to the water and salt. This type of sweat attracts certain bacteria, which is attributed to the accompanying body odor.
When you sweat during exercise your clothes absorb it, capturing the body odor along with it. You need to give your workout clothes special attention to get rid of the body odor.
What is the best way to wash workout clothes to get rid of body odor?
Some clothing is harder to clean than others, and synthetic fabrics are even more difficult from which to remove odor. Ironically, some workout clothes are made of synthetic fabrics that are not breathable and therefore they can trap your body odor. This means that no matter how often you wash your workout clothes, they may still smell like body odor.
The best way to launder your workout clothes is to use a solution of baking soda and cold water. If you do this after every workout then your exercise clothes will always smell fresher.
When you come home from the gym, soak your workout clothes for about 10 minutes in a solution of baking soda and water. ¼ cup of baking soda per one gallon of water is sufficient. Rinse the clothing under cold water and then machine wash per the garment’s instructions.
Avoid storing your workout clothes in your gym bag, where odors may linger. If your workout clothes are sweaty, it is also beneficial to keep them in a separate washable bag that you can launder together.
Other than getting the body odor out of your workout clothes, what can you do?
Everyone sweats, but not everyone has the same results with body odor. Depending on certain conditions, you may have a stronger body odor than someone else. Most body odors are out of your control, but there are some dietary and lifestyle changes that you can make that can help:
- If you eat a high content of garlic or other strong spices such as curry, you may emit a stronger body odor when you sweat. Although these spices are considered to be a healthy resource of antioxidants and other healing properties, you may want to try to reduce your intake prior to exercise to see if that helps reduce your body odor.
- Alcohol, tobacco, and even caffeine can cause a higher level of body odor in some people. Since none of these things are considered to be advantageous for your health, reducing them or eliminating them from your diet can do more than help with body odor.
- Take a shower or bath every day. Wear deodorant or antiperspirant every day and reapply after every shower or bath. You can also use witch hazel under your arms because it prohibits the growth of odor causing bacteria.
Nutritionally you can try to neutralize your body odor as well. Parsley is often served on dinner plates not as garnish but as a way to cleanse the pallet. That is because parsley can help reduce odors, as can other leafy greens. Wheat grass supplements, magnesium, and zinc can also help reduce strong body odors.
If you develop an abnormal body odor (one that is not usual for you) then you should consult with a physician. Changes in how excessive your sweat is or in the odors you emit can indicate health problems.
To get body odor out of workout clothes keep your body clean and wash your clothes regularly after a workout. Use the supplement finder now to find other ways of helping neutralize your body odor.